The art of weaving is an old tradition in the Kingdom of Nepal, especially in the mountainous region of the country. Radii, Pakhi, Bakkhu, Darhi (with pile) are well-known Nepalese products produced in these regions using indigenous wool. The marketing of these products was confined to the domestic market.
The development of an export quality carpet was initiated with the influx of the Tibetan refugees in the early sixties. Credit goes to the Swiss Agency for Technical Assistance (SATA) for their contribution, in the development of the carpet industry in Nepal through financial & technical support to the Tibetan refugees re-settlement programs. In the beginning, it was launched as a source of livelihood for the Tibetan refugees and marketing was limited to tourists visiting the kingdom. Efforts to gain access in the international market arena paid-off in 1964 when the first commercial shipment left to Europe, namely Switzerland. With vision and entrepreneur skill it transformed into a nationally recognized commercial commodity and remains the most important export product from Nepal.
The Nepalese- Tibetan carpets contain a very high degree of hand processing and qualities ranging from 60-150 knots per square inch. Regularity safe guards are in place to ensure that only highest quality fleece wool is imported for use in these carpets.
The traditional design of the Nepalese-Tibetan carpet are basically influenced by Buddhism but in recent years the Nepalese manufacturers have introduced modern design and colors in line with the present day market tastes. The traditional size has been replaced by a wide range of sizes from 0.25Sq.m. to 56m2 in shapes such as round, octagon and customs shapes. The desired designs, styles and shades are the creation of local designers & engineers with regular feedback from the market.
At present, 95 percent of the production of carpet is concentrated in the Kathmandu valley with the remaining 5 percent is spreading over a number of other districts of the country.